Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Isabel's Race to Fight Cancer!!!


Everyone has their own bucket list. Some items will have a greater impact on our lives than others, but all are listed to one day check off.  One item that has always been at the top of my list but always seemed out of my reach is to participate in a full or half marathon.  I came across the American Cancer Society half Marathon run during a very difficult time in my life when I saw first hand how quickly cancer can destroy everything you love, cherish and live for.
My mother Luisa Velez was only 45 years old when she started to feel fatigued and uncomfortable.  At the point when this became unbearable she went to the doctor not expecting to hear what he had discovered.  After a series of tests and lab work he told her that she had cervical cancer. She was diagnosed March 25, 2011; the day of my 24th birthday. From that point on in our lives time seemed to accelerate at an uncontrollable speed. Due to our financial situation, my family did not have health insurance, thus, it was necessary for her to return to her home country of Colombia to receive treatment.  She immediately started chemotherapy and radiation therapy, along with several other medications.   My family did everything in our power to keep her happy and comfortable.  Despite all the treatment she received, the cancer continued to spread.  As it continued to destroy her body she experienced weight loss and weakness, leading from one complication to another.  Her body, ultimately, couldn't handle the cancer any more.  My mother passed away on April 13, 2012.

She left behind two kids and a husband. There is nothing harder than losing someone you love; some one that raised you, gave you nothing but their best, someone that has touched your life forever. I know I am not the only one feeling like this. Cancer has touched many other lives, including, fathers, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts- or maybe you have been the one that has been touched. The American Cancer Society fights for more birthdays and more survivors. By your generous donation we can fight back and help others that are going through the worst experience of their life- such as, myself.

Help me reach my goal of $5000.  I thank anyone that can help me in accomplishing my goal and supporting American Cancer Society.

CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO MAKE A DONATION TODAY! 





No comments:

Post a Comment